CHICKEN, GREEN OLIVE, MOLE ENCHILADAS ..... mmmmmyesss!
Makes 8 enchiladas in one 9 x 13 pan or 4 servings.
Can assemble the dish the day before and refrigerate.
2 1/2 lbs of shredded chicken (rotisserie is easiest!)
3 Cups of chicken broth
4 Tbs Olive oil
1 Cup finely chopped onions (half goes in sauce, half goes raw into enchilada assembly)
1.5 Tbs finely chopped garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
2.5 Tbs of hot Mexican chili powder
1.5 Tbs all purpose flour
1/4 oz semisweet chocolate
a Dash of chipoltle powder if you have it
8 - 5-6" soft corn tortillas
1/2 lb Shredded Monterey jack cheese (about 2.25 C)
1/2 C drained, sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
1. Shred chicken into a large bowl
2. Heat 1.5 T oil in a large sauce pan over medium/low heat. Add onion, garlic oregano, cumin and cinnamon. Cover. Cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 min. Mix in chili powder and flour; stir 3 minutes.
3. Gradually whisk in 3 C broth. Increase heat to medium/high. Boil until reduced to 1.5 C, stirring occasionally, about 35 min. Remove from heat. Whisk in chocolate; season with salt and pepper. Cool a bit.
4. Heat a bit of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tortilla, cook until just pliable (about 20 sec per side). Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat with all tortillas.
5. Spread a little sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 glass baking dish. Mix 1/2 cup sauce into the chicken.
6. Into each tortilla spoon 3 T cheese, 1T olives, 1T onion and 1/4 C chicken. Roll, arrange seam side down in dish.
7. Preheat oven to 375. Top enchiladas with remaining sauce, sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil; bake 20 min (30 if chilled). Remove foil and bake until sauce bubbles, about 10 min. Let stand 10 min.